Website University of Texas at Austin
We are seeking a successor to replace our departing Assistant Curator, who helps manage the TEX and LL herbaria at the University of Texas at Austin. These herbaria collectively number about one million specimens of mainly vascular plants. We are an active collection, both within our department and college and in the herbarium community. The position is a full-time permanent job, renewable annually, and carries full benefits. The Assistant Curator is involved in nearly all aspects of day to day operations. It should be noted that the primary focus is not on independent research, as the position is too demanding of time to permit much development of individual research. The principal duties include:
- Oversee all specimen loan processing that is requested from other institutions and loans requested by faculty, students, and staff of The University of Texas at Austin, maintain all related records (current and retroactive), and answer all related queries.
- Manage in the general taxonomic and archival curation of all collections.
- Participate in the training and supervision of student workers as necessary.
- Undertake specific collections improvements, specimen flow, digitization or outreach projects as deemed necessary by the Curator, Associate Director or Director.
- Participate in outreach and education activities, which may include staffing a booth at campus activities, tours of the facilities for visitors, or interacting with university classes using the facilities.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Plant Resources Center when the Curator is absent.
- Participate as needed in generation of reports for the University and other entities.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to begin a career in collections management while working in a large herbarium housed at a major university in a popular U.S. City.
To apply for this job please visit utaustin.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.