The Herbarium Collections and Outreach Administrator will coordinate the Herbarium’s visiting scientist program and the Herbarium’s volunteer program, participate in Herbarium outreach activities and perform various daily functions of the Herbarium.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.
The New York Botanical Garden is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in our workforce fosters excellence in our mission of advocating for the plants of the world. Leveraging the strong foundation of existing policies and practices, NYBG will advance inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through a number of institutional initiatives. Our aspiration is to continue to cultivate a workforce and institution that is as diverse as the communities we serve and the audiences we engage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the Herbarium visitor program – this includes scheduling visits, orienting visitors for Herbarium use and managing specimens handled by visitors after they leave.
- Administer the Herbarium’s volunteer program, both onsite in the Herbarium as well as online with citizen scientists.
- Assist with additional outreach activities such as tours, open houses.
- Assist in preparing and importing data from citizen science online platforms.
- Manage and process incoming new staff collections.
- Distribute duplicate specimens to sister herbaria.
- Number, digitize, and file newly mounted specimens with the help of onsite volunteers.
- Experience with herbarium management and curation
- Experience with specimen digitization techniques and data management
- Knowledge of plant taxonomy and nomenclature
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with science/museum volunteers
- Familiarity with Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred
Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.
This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR@nybg.org.
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.
To apply for this job please visit www.nybg.org.