BRIT_org Fort Worth Botanical Garden | Botanical Research Institute of Texas
About the Position
The Fort Worth Botanic Garden|Botanical Research Institute of Texas (FWBG|BRIT) seeks a Full-Time Herbarium and Research Assistant who will be responsible for coordinating herbarium and research activities as directed by the Research Botanist and the Herbarium Collections Manager. This position will be expected to coordinate specimen shipping and processing, distribution of duplicates, mounting, image, transcribe and georeference herbarium material, and to participate in tissue/DNA banking activities, training of undergraduate students, coordinate the efforts of volunteers, and assist in domestic and international travel arrangements for herbarium and field work in Colombia.
The Herbarium Research Assistant will be responsible for:
- Coordination of specimen shipment and specimen processing, distribution of duplicates and mounting.
- Imaging (scanning and photographing) of plant specimens and the capture of related metadata, transcription of label data, and georeferencing of textual locality descriptions.
- Coordination of tissue/DNA banking activities (databasing, DNA extractions, sample shipment).
- Ordering and keeping an updated inventory of supplies and reagents for the molecular laboratory and the herbarium as related to the projects assigned.
- Training of students in laboratory and herbarium techniques.
- Maintenance of daily activity logs and participation in project meetings to gauge project progress and level of success.
- Assist in providing high quality data for botanical research and public dissemination.
- Assist in domestic and international travel arrangements for herbarium and field work.
- Consistent achievement of expectations and outcomes determined by the project team.
- Performs other duties as requested to accomplish the goals of the Institute.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, or related field.
- Computer competency
- Maintain a current Texas Drivers’ License and Auto-Related Liability Insurance
- Attention to detail and self-motivation.
- Ability to work independently, establish work priorities, and take initiative in pursuing activities that further project goals.
- Please see full job description for a more detailed list of job tasks and applicant qualifications.
How to Apply
FWBG|BRIT strives to maintain a positive working environment focused on growth and success of individuals, working together in a collaborative, professional manner, with communication a priority. To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter as a single document to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. FWBG|BRIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit brit.org.