Biological Sciences Libraries Team, University of Cambridge
- SALARY £27,116-£31,406 pro rata
- REFERENCE VE29152
- CATEGORY Assistant staff
- PUBLISHED 29 November 2021
- CLOSING DATE 3 January 2022
- View job advertisement
The Assistant Librarian for Plant Sciences will proactively develop and deliver a range of services for the Plant Sciences and Botanic Garden communities. You will look after collections across two sites with teaching collections in the central Department of Plant Sciences Library and extensive special collections at the Cory and Herbarium Libraries, based in the Sainsbury Laboratory.
This is an exciting opportunity to take on a role overseeing several recently merged specialist collections within a team that is developing new and engaging services. You will play a key role in supporting the teaching and research support goals of both Cambridge University Libraries as well as the wider School of Biological Sciences.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing modern physical and electronic collections to support teaching and research;
- Providing and promoting an information service to library users both in person and remotely at a local and School-wide level;
- Developing and presenting teaching sessions to users at all academic levels of the University within the Department of Plant Sciences and the Botanic Garden, as well as across the School;
- Developing significant special collections, including the integration and reclassification of two libraries to form a holistic collection at the Sainsbury Laboratory site;
- Working with key stakeholders across the University to leverage the public engagement potential of special collections;
- Collaborating with colleagues across the Biological Sciences Libraries Team to explore and develop new services and approaches to supporting the wider School community;
- Representing the Biological Sciences Libraries at meetings, committees and events, both within the Department of Genetics and in the wider community.
What you will need:
- Experience of working in an academic or research-focused environment;
- Experience of building relationships with service users;
- Experience of classification and/or cataloguing of collections;
- Understanding of special collections and/or conservation of archival collections;
- Excellent digital skills, including standard office software and web editing;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels;
- Good organisational skills, including the ability to work independently and proactively while also seeking advice when appropriate.
We welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.
We particularly welcome applications from candidates from a BAME background for this vacancy as they are currently under-represented at this level in our institution.
Click the ‘Apply’ button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
If you would like more information about this role, informal enquiries can be directed by email to George Cronin, Library Manager (Biological Sciences) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 03 January 2022. Interviews to be held in the week commencing 17 January 2022.
Please quote reference VE29152 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs.cam.ac.uk.