The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
The Botany Technician 2 performs a wide range of activities supporting the ongoing work of the Botany Program at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. This full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position, reports to the Tucker Plant Systematist.
Field work duties (ca. 20% time)
- Plant specimen collection;
- Field identification;
- Focused plant surveys;
- Data collection.
Research and office duties (ca. 40% time)
- Perform greenhouse work;
- Perform analyses in collaboration with Botany Team Principal Investigators;
- Report and paper writing in collaboration with Botany Team Principal Investigators;
- Potentially assist with genetics lab work, including DNA extractions, gDNA quantitations, gel electrophoresis, and library preparations (experience dependent);
- Communication with the public during tours and in presentations.
Herbarium duties (ca. 40% time)
- Develop and maintain an inventory of the herbarium specimen backlog;
- Develop and maintain a library of digital scans of field notes;
- Prepare labels for specimens in mounting queue;
- Prioritize and maintain stock of specimens in mounting queue;
- Mount herbarium specimens;
- Manage prep lab volunteers.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience with and knowledge of basic taxonomic principles, botany, and herbarium curatorial practices;
- Knowledge of and experience with the California flora;
- Ability to follow instructions, work successfully with others, and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Manual dexterity sufficient to prepare plant specimens neatly and quickly;
- Ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines;
- Computer proficiency including ability to use Microsoft Access, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and ability to learn new computer programs as necessary – experience with GIS a plus;
- Experience with plant molecular genetics a plus;
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing;
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with peers at SBBG (in Conservation & Research and in other departments) and other institutions (e.g., herbaria, community organizations);
- Support for the Garden’s mission and goals.
We know there are many pathways, experiences, and backgrounds that add value and skill to one’s work and recognize that studies have shown that women and minorities often do not apply for positions where they don’t meet all of the preferred skills and experience. We encourage applicants to apply even if their experiences do not match perfectly with those listed below, and to explain in their cover letter how their prior experience is relevant to this position.
Must be capable of occasional strenuous physical work including:
- Working long field days in up to 12 hours per day, including multi-day overnight camping trips
- Sitting for up to 2 hours at a time and using a computer for lengthy periods
- Standing/walking for extended periods of time
- Bending, squatting, walking stairs, and hiking rugged trails with uneven footing
- Safely lifting and carrying 40 lbs.
- Tolerance of an outdoor work environment. Exposure to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, including temperature fluctuations, rain, dust, allergens, poison oak, insects, wild animals, and sun exposure
- Valid California Driver License
- Proof of complete COVID Vaccination
Compensation Range: $20-$25 per hour
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.