SMNStuttgart State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with good team work skills and a strong desire to conduct original research. With its more than 160 staff members, the State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart (SMNS) is an internationally renowned research institution committed to education and public outreach. It houses botanical collections which contain > 1,000,000 specimens with ca. 600,000 Vascular Plants.
- Conduct high quality, predominantly collection-based research mainly on Central European Flora of Vascular Plants including field work and publication of results regularly in internationally renowned journals
- Development of innovative and interdisciplinary externally funded research projects
- Management, conservation and extension of the Vascular Plants collections following international standards
- Public outreach: communication of science; scientific conceptual design of exhibitions
- Supervision of technical staff and students
The successful candidate has a Ph.D. in Biology/Botany and in addition should have
- An outstanding publication record
- Comprehensive expertise in modern statistics
- Provable, own applications of high standard statistical analyses of distribution data of Vascular Plants
- Excellent knowledge (including species diversity) of the Central
- European Flora
- Experience in field-botany
- Affinities to scientific collections, in special Herbaria
- Experience in acquiring external research funding
- Experience in public outreach is a plus
- Ability and willingness to teach at university level
- Team-player with an interest in participating in interdisciplinary research projects
- Ability to supervise technical staff and students
- For non-native speakers: as the official language is German, the successful candidate must exhibit a willingness to learn German in good time
In turn we offer:
- A permanent position
- The opportunity to pursue your academic career in an internationally renowned research museum with state-of-the-art facilities
- Exciting research projects in an international and multidisciplinary environment
- An attractive workplace in the centre of Stuttgart
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours
- Monthly subsidy for public transportation when using the JobTicket BW
- Benefits from occupational health management
- Support in the acquisition of German language skills
Salary will follow E 13 TV-L (German civil service salary scale for scientists). The official language of the institution is German, but applications in English will be considered. The position is intended to be filled by May 2022. SMNS strives to increase the proportion of women and, therefore, we especially encourage the application of highly-qualified female scientists. When equally qualified and suitable for the position, disabled applicants will be preferentially considered.
Scientists are invited to submit their electronic application to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to January 28, 2022. Job interviews are scheduled for February 24-25, 2022.
The following documents should be included in a single pdf file: CV, contact information for 3 references, publication list, summary of collection and teaching experience, research outlook (max. 3 pages), and a list of acquired funding. Please also provide pdfs of 3 key publications.
For further information, please contact Interim Director Prof. Dr. Lars Krogmann (email@example.com) or the Keeper of Botany, PD Dr. Mike Thiv (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information on data protection law for applicants can be found on our homepage under “Jobs” (in German).
To apply for this job please visit www.naturkundemuseum-bw.de.